Previous 1 . 2
view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
The Avoidance vs Health debate for tanks is eternal, it seems. It seems to me that you should have a balance of both. For starting heroics I figure a bear should have 25K in both health and armor and 35% dodge. Stack Stam and Agility until you reach these numbers. After that you should stack Stamina until you get to 30K health. This is an important number as many groups won't take a tank with less health than that.

After you have 30K health I recommend you stack Agility until you get your dodge up to around 40%. Agility also helps your armor rating so you should have plenty of avoidance/mitigation at that point and can stack Stamina from there. Our guild is only in Naxx but so far I havent found any downside from the stam cram. Supposedly in the Ulduar hard modes Stam is even more important.

With TEH GEAR SCORE! being all the rage lately I think health is not as large a factor as before. Assuming this continues, and they improve the gear scoring addons, then having the best gear will be more important than your health. Before I was recommending to bears that they grab the polar gear (chest, belt, and boots) and cram them with full Stamina (after you are no longer using them for regular tanking runs) so you can wear them when sitting around in LFG.

People are much more likely to take you when they see that huge health pool and the "vanity armor" does have some uses. Supposedly its good for tanking Hodir. Our guild isnt there yet. I have used to to offtank Patchwerk (taking the Hateful Strike) and it works for taking down that pesky mage boss in Occulus.
Oh and as to talent specs, check out my feral spec. I have a raiding spec. For a starting bear take the 5 points out of feral aggression and put them into the Resto tree to fill out Master Shapeshifter. This will help give you the threat you need to hold aggro.
As a Bear Tank, I am aiming for 42k-47k unbuffed HP., as of this post, I'm at 37k or so In Bear form. It's a hard road to do with also trying to keep up your dodge % cap ( lil over 6%), Expertise rating, & ArP and Hit cap ( 8% for bears) for threat, and dont forget to spam Agility, which truely helps out in all phases of bear tanking.. Im guild OT, in a pinch, but main role is Treekin, tank spec is for my own personal enjoyment, and Im still building my heal gear. we have a pally and warrior MT's, I guess you can say. We are working all 10's and 25's ( including ulduar ). It's tough to try to keep caps in all area's at max, while also inter-lacing ( upgrading) gear as we move along with progession.
I feel that druid tanks are in no way obsolete since 3.3 as much as they are played inefficiently. As a poster above stated, a balance of both stamina and avoidance is the best way to go. However, I still see many tanks stacking only stam gems and most of them fail miserably. I main tank along with my boyfriend (who is a paladin tank) and find absolutely no problem in holding aggro/being hit hard/staying alive in a raid. I've tanked 5 mans, Onyxia, Trials of the Crusader, Trials of the Grand Crusader, and have cleared the first 4 bosses of Icecrown Citadel.

To illustrate the point further, in a recent 25man ICC ive tanked the leader initially did not want to take me as a druid tank (because of the idea that druid tanks are obselete tanks) but I was taken with some convincing from my boyfriend. The third tank was a fully stam-gemmed warrior. While my boyfriend's paladin tank and my druid tank had absolutely no problem staying up in the raid/being hit hard, the stam-stacked warrior CONSISTANTLY died, leaving us basically carrying him every fight. This is my experience as a druid tank. :P
I'm one of the Main tanks in my guild. i have cleared most past content and i am currently 10/12 ICC 25

For a Druid Stacking Stamina has become a far more viable option considering the amount of non-avoidable damage and the dodge debuff of course its a matter of what gear you have and what your prefer as a tank but if you prefer large dodge over reasonable hp in many ICC 25 fights you will drop like a rock

As for druids becoming obselete, thats completely untrue we were highly valued in several fights during ulduar and toc, we owned naxx, and now in ICC we have taken the dodge debuff better then the other 3 tanking classes making us a good option for many fights considering our far superior health

Bearmason wrote:
The Avoidance vs Health debate for tanks is eternal, it seems. It seems to me that you should have a balance of both. For starting heroics I figure a bear should have 25K in both health and armor and 35% dodge. Stack Stam and Agility until you reach these numbers. After that you should stack Stamina until you get to 30K health. This is an important number as many groups won't take a tank with less health than that.

After you have 30K health I recommend you stack Agility until you get your dodge up to around 40%. Agility also helps your armor rating so you should have plenty of avoidance/mitigation at that point and can stack Stamina from there. Our guild is only in Naxx but so far I havent found any downside from the stam cram. Supposedly in the Ulduar hard modes Stam is even more important.

With TEH GEAR SCORE! being all the rage lately I think health is not as large a factor as before. Assuming this continues, and they improve the gear scoring addons, then having the best gear will be more important than your health. Before I was recommending to bears that they grab the polar gear (chest, belt, and boots) and cram them with full Stamina (after you are no longer using them for regular tanking runs) so you can wear them when sitting around in LFG.

People are much more likely to take you when they see that huge health pool and the "vanity armor" does have some uses. Supposedly its good for tanking Hodir. Our guild isnt there yet. I have used to to offtank Patchwerk (taking the Hateful Strike) and it works for taking down that pesky mage boss in Occulus.

My first thought at this was 35% thats a ton but its not true it's extremely easy to reach given the bonuses from Feral swiftness, natural reaction and the fact that if your new to feral tanking youve probably saved badges for idol of mutilation (If you havent you should!). Stacking stam can come after you have enough agility to reach soft dodge cap, meaning your dodging just enough not to be rage starved at lets say the 40% he mentioned earlier. Also With the given stam trinkets before raiding like black heart, essence of gossamer (both are BiS before raiding) it's become easier and easier to reach a high health pool just from gear before actually gemming for it. It only took me about a week to get the gear i have now without raiding so have fun tanking everyone and go ahead and check my armory. Please ignore crusader locket havent had good luck in H AN :P

naturebound wrote:
I've heard that since WotLK druid tanks are becoming, well, obsolete...

i was wandering since i was a tank in the BC should i stay tank? is that good anymore?

You don't see meny Druid tanks anymore, but yes, they are still good, and you get an insta RDF queue to lol
Previous 1 . 2
Jump to :