view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
So one of my many toons is a ret pally with a 5700k gearscore(3000+ according to Wow-heroes.) and I raid icc10/icc25 weekly. but for some reason my dps SUCKS. i break 4k on bosses. but with a 5700k gs its sad.... I have no clue what I'm doing wrong and I realllyyy wanna get my dps on this toon up. I will take all and any advice. I'm willing to post any needed information such as what I'm spec'd into, my gems, my enchants, my gear, ANYTHING! I just wanna figure out what I'm doing wrong and to fix it as fast as possible. so please please please if you have any tips or ideas or if wanna try to help please respond. thanks =D
Best seal to use, Seal of Vengeance for single target fights that last more than 10 seconds. Otherwise, Seal of Command.

Only use Consecration if there are three or more enemies present, or every other ability you have that does damage is on cooldown. Using Consecration over key abilities like Judgement of Wisdom, Divine Storm or Crusader Strike is always a dps loss (save for the situation mentioned at the start).

Use Relentless Earthsiege Diamond as your meta gem, then use a single Nightmare Tear in a socket where it activates a socket bonus. Like the blue socket in your Relentless Gladiator's Scaled Legguards. You then put Bold Cardinal Rubies in every single other socket, UNLESS, there is a single yellow socket that has a socket bonus with 4 strength or more. Then you put a Inscribed Ametrine in that socket. An example would be your Gatecrasher's Gauntlets, those gloves should have a Inscribed Ametrine in their yellow socket, since the other one is red and the bonus is 6 stength.

You have 476 hit rating, that is an intense amount, and far more than you need. You only need 263 hit rating. The trinkets you have are both pretty sub-par, Mark of Supremacy is okay. Shard of the Crystal Heart is just... Awful. Replace it immdiately. Almost any trinket will be better dps, but a good and readily available replacement would be the Mirror of Truth. Which can simply be bought from the emblem vendors in Dal. Trust me, it will do much higher dps (use Rawr if you don't believe me, the hit from Shard of the Crystal Heart is completely wasted, and the haste is very insignifigant compared to other solid trinkets).

Your glyphs are pretty bad, as is your spec. An Eye for an Eye is useless in PvE, as is pretty much Divine Purpose, if you want to PvP use a PvP spec. Sadly, you'll have to make a choice, do awesome dps in PvE or be good in PvP. This http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sVZVZVfbt0IuhdIfsu:Go00cm is the best basic dps build for ret paladins. You have 8 points to play with here, 2 for Vindication, if no one else in the raid has a similar effect (for instance a prot pally with it, or a warrior with demo shout). If you don't need Vindication, you put those two points into Pursuit of Justice, movement speed is crucial in PvE as well (for moving out of fire and such). The remaining six points can be put into prot, to get to Divine Sacrifice, or into Holy to get to Aura Mastery. Both are handy cooldowns to help your raid, and they're sadly the best thing you can get with your last points. The glyphs are also included in the build, most crucial of all is the Glyph of Seal of Vengeance for you.

Your rotation priority is Judgement of Wisdom > Hammer of Wrath (if available) > Crusader Strike > Divine Storm > Exorcism > Holy Wrath (if applicable, everything else is on cooldown, and there is only a single enemy present) > Consecration (if there is more than 3 enemies present, this becomes your top priority move, replacing Judgement of Wisdom in the queue).

Hope this helps, I apologize for my bluntness in some cases, and for the wall of text, but there you have it.
I agree to go as balanced as you can. My gear isn't good yet, and I consistantly do ~4.5k single target dps sustained, but I'm 8.75% hit and w/ glyph of vengeance 33 expertise. I'm still learning this myself, and I'm glad I've had people tell me to do the balanced hit/exp route because beforehand my dps was at best 3k with way too much hit and no expertise. A bunch of sidegrades, quite a few "downgrades" (only in terms of item level) like trinkets, and the 264 libram instead of the 245 and my dps jumped up very nicely. Aslo get the Clcret addon, helps alot with doing your rotation and priorities.

No reason to ever use BoM minor glyph, just to save yourself like 1 silver per 30 minutes. And the LoH minor glyph has plenty of uses, so shorter cd on it is a great thing. I use LoH on healers or other dps followed very quickly by hand of salvation or sacrifice, and save bubble for myself since I like to stand in fire :grin:

Only other thing I can add is if you go the aura mastery route, I tend to use it right as I use avenging wrath (unless needed to prevent a silence), which I save until seal of vengeance has stacked 5 times, which even for me spikes my single target dps to over 6k for those few seconds.
Okay Well I made some changes, I switched out Shard of the heart with another trinket and I completely redid my spec and my glyphs. Also I changed some of the gems I had( I'm still trying to change a few more of them... But I couldn't find a freaking jewelcrafter!) also I changed a few things in my rotation and my dps has increased somewhat. but and more ideas on what i can do to increase my dps??
You'd get a small difference if you enchant your bracers, but thats not a huge change...what does your rotation priority look like? because pallys work on a first come first serve basis, are you waiting for certain abilities to come off cooldown? My rotation is pretty much the same as the one listed above...start off with Judgement of Wisdom, then I DS, then CS then excorcism then Holy wrath if in icc and then consecrate if nothing else is off cooldown. I pull between 7 and 9k on trash and about 5.5-6k on bosses usually so im not doing horribly dont know if that helped you or if it was just more of the same for ya but hopefully it helped a bit.
The key for a ret pally is to never have down time. You should be using abilities immediantly after the global cooldown everytime. Keep this in mind, because if you're not, your dps is not at its highest level, regardless of the gear you have.
Check out CLCRet on Curse.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... lcret.aspx

It will help you get the hang of your rotation priority. Just move the HUD someplace it is easy to see while in combat.
Great responses here, may my rotation and buffs used (as posted elsewhere), aren't what they should be.
ima have to say that there is some truth to what these peeps are saying then some, not so much, atleast in my experience. you see a lottt of pallies using seal of command, which i beleive to be useless, unless you feel like showing off in trash fights. seal of corruption is the way to go, and spamming consecration when more than 3 mobs, id say no, biggg mana user right there. one last thing, rotation wise, get your t10 2 set bonus and do not use crusader strike before divine storm, you want that to proc as much as you can so, judge-DS-crusader strike- exorcism- holy wrath, if icc- then consecration, but anywhere in there, if DS procs use it, there will be times you'll be able to spam it like 4 times in a row. then just use priority and what evers off cooldown
Jump to :