view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
What do people think about Dual-wield tanking for DK Tanks? IS it plausible and what would be the talent tree?
Dual wield tank is posible but you'll need a hell of a lot hit rating to get capped and you also will need some more expertice

a two handed DK needs 8% for soft cap and 17% hit for hard cap while a dual wield dk needs rufly about 17% for soft cap and 27% for hard cap wich is about 800ich hitrating. quiet imposible to reach tho.

also expertice raises slightly: a two handed DK needs about 24 expertice while a dualwielded DK needs about 26-28 expertice.

so i hope this helps :))

GL

Oh, eventho i advice againds dualwielding, you do so in Frost spec since there are some tallents you might wane use there. also advice for two slow wapens for max treath

[ Last edited by Athilmo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total. ]

I appreciate the input
I'm not big into the numbers game, but I seem to do okay with my dual weild frost tank. I am not geared 100% but can handle ICC rep runs as a main tank and 10/25's as an OT with a good healer. Quick reference, my addon GS is only around 5120 and my wowheroes is around 2830. If you're close to that you "should" be okay to take on most stuff.
I currently duel wield tank, and I think the way the numbers presented above is a bit off. 8% is the hit cap for any melee special attacks (rune strike, plague strike, frost strike, etc), where as 17% is for any spells (Icy Touch, Howling Blast, etc), both of which are important for keeping threat up. 27% (24% with Nerves of cold steel, which you should have as a dw tank) is for white damage, so over the 17% for spells isn't wasted, but not overly important as DK's damage is mostly yellow damage, and the 27% is for your white damage. You should at least hit soft Expertise (26) for better threat, and higher is better but difficult to achieve, and the parry gibbing has been removed from any bosses where it truely matters (but it is still a game mechanic, so more expertise is better).

That being said, the only reason I switched to dw is the weapons I had access to. I went from an i219 2h to an i232 dps main hand (main hand should ALWAYS be dps), and an i251 off hand tank weapon (higher lvl, but less damage [not DPS], so it's off hand). Slower weapons produce LOTS more damage, so main hand dps, off hand either dps or tank for avoidance. If I get access to a battered hilt weapon or an ICC 2h, I'll switch back to one handers, as I can get some talents back that would be nice, such as access to death runes and lichborne. Bit windy, but my $0.02
I have played with DW tanking befor switching to 2H tanking, the hit stats you will requier are:

5% hit for special attacks (163.95 = 5%)

24% for auto attacks (786.96 = 24%) but tbh who has hit cap for white damage anyway??!!

17% for all spells (445.94 = 17%)

if you drop 3 points in Virulence you will only need 14% for spells (367.25 = 14%)

Make sure your checking your spells stat section in your toon window because 8% hit for melee is about 10% for spells

Have fun tanking :)

Skullknight

Athilmo wrote:
Dual wield tank is posible but you'll need a hell of a lot hit rating to get capped and you also will need some more expertice

a two handed DK needs 8% for soft cap and 17% hit for hard cap while a dual wield dk needs rufly about 17% for soft cap and 27% for hard cap wich is about 800ich hitrating. quiet imposible to reach tho.

also expertice raises slightly: a two handed DK needs about 24 expertice while a dualwielded DK needs about 26-28 expertice.

so i hope this helps :))

GL

Oh, eventho i advice againds dualwielding, you do so in Frost spec since there are some tallents you might wane use there. also advice for two slow wapens for max treath
This isn't correct. In general, a dual wield dk needs less hit rating than a 2h dk does, due to nerves of cold steel. True, a dual wield dk will still have white hit misses unless they reach a much higher hit rating, but that's not really important.

Personally, I don't think threat is much of an issue for DK's anymore due to the buff to Icy Touch, so you're probably fine going with any combination of slow dps weapons (better threat) or fast tank weapons (better survivability)
Jump to :