view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Need some advice on gear mostly, talents too if anyone wants--but I got a pretty good idea from browsing these forums on what I need to do. This is my first lvl 80 in WoW. I have a pally tank.

My dilemma about gear is: I'm currently trying to get my defense rating up. I've been collecting enchants and gems and getting new gear as well. Been doing the regular randoms to get emblems to buy gear--going to be upgrading my helm tonight (which I think has +74 Def. Rating). I know W0W-Heroes recommends certain Heroic instances and raids I can do, but can't I technically not tank them until my def rating is capped? I really want to do dailies and Heroics but I feel stuck right now. Especially since I can only collect emblems from the Daily Regular Random dungeons and FoS, PoS, and HoR. Or am I missing something? Most of the gear WoW-Heroes is recommending for upgrades are in Heroics and raids. How do I get my defense rating capped if I can't get better gear to do it? Sorry for the dumb questions, but my guild hasn't been a lot of help. And I'm completely bored with running regular instances and don't want to go into an H unprepared. :P

Toon's name: Kayse, Realm: Tanaris

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... re+Cowbell
I know its tough to get going as a prot pally and getting the gear up to cap your defense. One way to look at these things is to not worry about stamina right away and focus on the defense. You chest piece you currently have while the same one I use at the moment is hurting you defense wise when you dont have the shoulders neck bracers and trinket to build up a little more defense elsewhere. I would suggest getting the chest piece from the wyrmrest accord but I also see you are a bit low on rep for that. Also the defense enchant for helm from Argent Dawn but again your rep is too low. The chest piece from wyrmrest would certainly push you to 532 atleast and the enchant to it would get you the rest of the way. Of course this would be temporary until you were able to replace the defense elsewhere like in rings and trinkets that you are lacking all defense on. Otherwise I suggest just trying to grind out the emblems and getting T9 gear. You're on the right path to get capped but tanks sometimes need a few different pieces of gear to swap out to remain capped if another piece is an upgrade but lacks defense
Honestly it is in no way required to be defense capped to tank heroics. AT ALL. I hit 80 on my pally a week ago and didnt hardly have defense gear because I wasn't aware thats what I was supposed to go for. I hit 80 and was instantly breezing through heroics no problem. There is a huge misconception about defense because it doesn't make your health drop any slower it just reduces the chance a mob will hit you and you only get a little over 5% from being capped. My recomendation to you is just make sure you have 22k hp unbuffed and at least 3-4 epics from normal pit of saron HoR and FoS. Im not sure where the idea you had to be def capped to run heroics came from because its completely untrue nobody was def capped b4 running their first heroics unless they have some serious issues. Just start running random heroics if everyone else is decently geared you'll be fine I went from a 1k GS to 2.2k and I tank OS np and im still not def capped :D
The soft cap for def is 535. this allows one to run heroic 5mans with out being crit'ed. the poster above was off a little. the 540 def is to keep from being criticly hit by a lvl83 bad guy. i had on mostly blues when i started heroics. i believe most were rep pieces as well as some BS crafted pieces. i may have been 3 or 4 points short of 540 when i started heroics.

the thing i did was search the interwebs for preheroic pally tank gear. (dont remember the site? wowwiki maybe?) used that guide to build a set. if you google wowtankadin, you should get some hits on sites.

tip. Def cap first / Stam gems are your friend / Dodge is your second best friend.

Good luck to ya. :D
As some of the other posters have said, get your Defense cap up first. Defense cap does not directly affect how often you are hit, it directly affects being hit by a critical hit. Crits are what will kill you faster than anything else. Once you are at 535 Defense, start doing heroics. If you are doing regular ICC5, you can probably already tank most of the heroics other than H ToC and H ICC5. Here is a fairly concise list of pre-raid gear for Prot pallies

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php? ... -Gear-List

Here is a basic strategy for gearing that I use in the prot pally guide for my guild.

Heroics:
535 Defense
At least 25k health unbuffed
Defense > Dodge = Parry > Block
Gems: Stamina > Defense > Dodge = Parry*

Raids (i.e. starting Naxx):
540 Defense
29K Health unbuffed
Defense > Dodge = Parry > Block
Gems: Stamina > Defense > Dodge = Parry*
When you get to ICC raids, just stack stamina while maintaining a 540 Defense. Anything else is bonus.

Heroics are becoming really elitist these days, if they see someone with less than a 4K GS(according to the GS addon, not WOW-Heroes) they get fussy. I have seen people laughing at new toons with less than 1500K dps (which is really all that is needed). The truth is, Heroics (except ToC and ICC5) don't have huge gear requirements. As long as you follow what I posted above you will be fine, despite what trolls may try to say.

[ Last edited by Gheerdan on Mon May 17, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. ]

On a site like wow-heroes, I am realy astounded at the missinformation. You need to be defense capped to avoid being critically hit, which WILL drop your health quicker when it happens.

That being said, even the crapiest tank can bing themselves to think they are doing ok with the right healer.
Jump to :