view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
My AoE tanking abilities are not bad, but some times get out of hand, and lose threat. I keep TC and SW on CD, and spam cleave on targets. If there are more than three targets I click around and cleave while watching Omen to see if I am losing threat on that target. It works pretty well unless its like tanking whelps on Ony.

So I do not know about others warriors but I think warriors should get an Area of effect that stays on the ground for a certain period of time(Like Pally's consecration or a DK's Death and Decay). Because, if I am tanking something like whelps and another pack of them come out and TC and SW are on CD,who has aggro is screwed unless I pop my AoE taunt that's on a 10 min CD.
You are very much correct; Warrior AOE Tanking abilities are below par.
Only thing I can say is have a Paladin or Death Knight tank the adds in Ony, that's what I tend to have, and then all you would need to do is help out at the beginning of phase 2, where the first mass of whelps spawn.
If the guild you are in only has warrior tanks or you are the only one with the capacity to tank the adds, here is a helpful tip: make sure that the dps in your group does not touch the adds, let everyone stack in the center. Toss a thunderclap, then immediately a shockwave, stunning the whelps and letting the dps take them down quite a bit on 10 man, then toss out your AOE taunt that should have a 3 minute cooldown, not a 10 minute one. This should keep your agro long enough for either your dps to completely down the whelps, or for your shockwave to be up to rinse and repeat.
Another way to grab more agro on the mobs is have a rogue Tricks of the Trade you and fan of knives all of the whelps.
I hope this helps!
-Wangsta
I know what you mean, some times it right pain to get aggro on all them whelps, if they did add a aoe on the ground ability for warriors then they would need to do it also for druid tanks, so all 4 tanking classes have one?
Also having Hunters toss a misdirect onto you if any whelps are getting out of your area helps. Our guild has a hunter thats great at getting whelps off healers and DPS by doing that rather then just sticking 100% on Ony for phase two, he tosses a freeze trap in front of a healer and keeps an eye on the whelps in his half of the room and misdirects them back to the tank. If you have a pally or DK it usually isnt an issue, but limited AOE is a problem for me on my Prot Warrior as well in that fight. IF everyone runs back to the middle after deep breath its usually a good shot, but deep breath can come at the worst time sometimes, so its also a little luck.
there are also other aoe abilities to take into account when to pop sheild block to increase your damage sheild on the whelps also using demo shout, in the rotation will greatly increase your chances of keeping aggro. this is just my 2 cent i glyph into cleaving, blocking, and sunder armor for my major glyphs. the higher your sheild block the higher your damge sheild is going to hit for which is 20% of your block when fully specc'd given that your running mates give you a 2 count to get the whelps to the middle, I pull em with demo shout then get em to the middle with the other tank, then pop sheild block, sheild slam one of them(if glyphed for the extra 10% block) they will all be hitting you grabbing your own aggro on top of ret auro if its up. then TC then back up a bit SW cleave, demo shout again, rinse and repeat you shouldnt have a problem i find alot of warrior tanks forget about demo shout and how much aggro it puts out on its own. Hope this has been helpful.
About the AoE tanking... if you are rolling the bleed spec, then you are going to have a natural dot on all the mobs after your initial TC and SW attacks which can be equated out to being the same as a Pally's consecrate or Dk's DnD

i usual run with a couple different glyphs in my bags (can be costly, but i hate being ineffective), when i run heroics i use the glyphs for Shockwave, Blocking, and Cleave... this allows me to have a tighter rotation for AoE pulls and i never lose aggro.
Jump to :