view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
So i just hit 80 late last week. my first 80 in wow. I'm trying to find 80 gear and dont really know where to start off at. i have a few. you can go look at my gear Server-Emerald dream. Char name-Sarieon If someone can help me out it'd be cool, like letting me know what i should change, whats good whats awful thank you all. also where i can find other gear not neccessarily EPICS but at least lvl 80 prot gear.

i also need a minimum def rating of heroics. then for 10mans and 25 if possible plz.
FOr Defenseive Ratings as a Tank you need to have a 540 Rating to not be critted.

Your Gear is ok as is to be able to Tank low level 80 instances which should allow you to get better Tanking Gear as you go. Workon your Rep with the Argent Crusade to get their Helmet Arcanum. I am on Blade's Edge Server as a Pally Tank. Toon Name Thenis. You can check on my Gear there.
I play on US server Moonruner, I am currently a Lvl 80 protection pally, the gear you want to be looking for is anything with defense rating, also helps if its combined with parry, dodge or sheild block attributes.

I found that for gloves if not running heroics instances or anything like that, there are some good quest rewards in the WotLK expansion, or use anything thats daunting i.e. handguards or legplates, also for level 80 anything tempered titansteel helm, sheild, and boots are good acquistions. (Blacksmiths make these, but mats can be very pricey) Also the Ah can have a few pieces worth the price, its most trial and error, finding what your looking for.

My d rating is currently 547. If your on moonrunner, lookme up and inspect the gear, I am currently geared for Naxx 10, and OS 10 raids.

Also there are some good tanking pieces through the heroism badge vendor in dalaran. But to get teh badges you must run heroic instances, in the WotLK expansion dungeons. :jester:
Like was said before...
the Defense Requirement to be uncritable is 540. Other stats as Parry,Dodge and Block have no requirements, but the higher ya can get the better.

Also... after the cap you should aim for Hit Rating, which i believe the cap for melee is 265, people correct me if 'm wrong. and last but not least Expertise cap is 17, but some say it's not required. Specially as a pally prot tank, since most of the aggro will be generated via Holy Damaging spells and abilities.

You can look over my Armory, Toon: Eowina Server: Aerie Peak

I'll give you a brief list of easy gear to get running heroics for Emblems and through Crafting.
Which means you won't need to relly on Boss Drops to get them.

Head --> [Epic] Tempered Titansteel Helm : You can have a blacksmith craft for ya
Neck --> [Epic] Chained Military Gorget : Purcharsed with Emblems of Heroism
Chest --> [Rare] Breastplate of the Solemn Council : Revered with Wyrmrest Accord
Feet --> [Epic] Tempered Titansteel Treads : also made by Blacksmith
Wrist --> [Rare] Tempered Saronite Bracers : Blacksmithing also
Ring 1 --> [Epic] Titanium Earthguard Ring : Made by Jewelcrafter
Trinket 1 --> [Epic] Valor Medal of the First War : Emblems of Heroism
Back --: [Epic] Durable Nerubhide Cape : Made by Leatherworker
Shield --> [Epic] Crygil's Discarded Plate Panel : Emblems of Heroism
Libram --> [Epic] Libram of Obstruction : Emblems of Heroism
Here is a list of best in slot pre heroics for LK
http://inordinacy.com/forums/index.php/topic,4.0.html

The list isn't complete yet but assume it should be soon.
The list doesn't contain EPIC BoE items from Ulduar+ or any raiding environment, However does contain epic items accessible via tradeskills which don't come from raids.

Anyway best of luck with you.
As far as defense everyones already said cap of 540, the better your gear gets you should decide on what to stack, parry or dodge, work your parry and dodge around your defense, as long as your 540 or above you can afford to stack parry or dodge, on my pally I stack dodge, personal preference.
g/l being a meatshield is nice lol
Def cap is 540 for raids 535 for Heroics, the bosses are Lv 82 in Heroics not The raid boss Lv 83.
really just running your heroics will net you level 200 tanking gear which is all you need for heroics and as your running your getting your emblems of triumph so you can get better tanking gear from them since theyll give you 232 tanking gear so youll see a big upgrade from them. also if you chain run regular ToC it drops some nice tanking gear as well for a starting 80 and since its not heroic you can run it multiple times for your drops.
Jump to :