view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Backstep Lvl 80 Hunter Realm: Dawnbringer
Main Spec SV 5/14/52
Alt spec MM 1/59/11
Ranged - AP 3609/ Crit 31.69%/ Hit 292
Pre 3.1 patch
I used to put out what I thought was considerable DPS
Always seemed to be in the top 5 on Recount lists.

Post patch

I got thrown out of a "PUG" group for DPS 775, LOW on any Recount list.
I have better gear, I think my Talent tree is close to, if not better than,
Pre patch. Am I the only Hunter with this problem?
What could have caused this and how can I fix it?
Well.

My damage as a SV hunter post 3.1 has been better.

HOWEVER

I can't make any suggestions without knowing your current spec, and shot rotation.

Do you use macros? They broke in 3.1. I've gotten higher dps without them, anyway (1300ms ping on average)
(I like SV better than my alt MM, so I am going back to it)
SV Shot rotation :

Serpent Sting
Concussive shot
Steady Shot
Aimed shot
Explosive shot
steady
aimed
explosive
sting
concussive

I try to get in steady shots while EP and Aimed times out.
I will also occasionally shoot a freeze aroow to get Lock and load
One Addon I have says I have 3786(+/-) rating.
Note I am out of town and not online and I am working from memory on the shot rotation. No macros are used, sad to say.
All comments and assistance are appreciated.................Timm
Why concussive shot? That, to me, is a wasted cool down.

Try this rotation:

Black Arrow
Explosive Shot
Serpent Sting
Steady Shot x2
Explosive Shot
Steady Shot x3
Explosive Shot
Steady Shot x2
Serpent Sting
etc.

When L&L procs:
Explosive
Steady
Explosive
Steady
Explosive.

Reason for putting steady in there is to ensure that you don't clip the last tick in explosive.

Then just keep Serpent sting up, refresh it in place of a steady shot, and the same with black arrow. When Explosive shot is off cool down, fire that, it's the highest priority shot in the rotation.

When available, use Kill Shot in place of a steady shot.

I Choose not to spec into or use Aimed Shot. I find that my dps increase is very little for the additional complexity and mana cost.
I thank you for your assistance sir or madam.
As you can tell, I am still learning, lol.

But...Doesn't the AIMED shot slow healing by 50 %?
That is the main reason I went that route, btw.
I will try your sugestion. Thanks again..........Timmmm
90% of the mobs that you will face do not heal. None in raids/heroics that I'm aware of. It's a good pvp attack, for sure, but a huge mana drain for survival
Hi. I was just looking through you post and i see u have been told to do the wrong thing, concusive shot is usless in pve.
also u cant realy have a rotation for sv. its more when explosive shot, black arrow and aimed shot is of cd use a steady shot. i always open up with a black arrow then explosive shot then aimed shot, all should be on cd so i use 1 Serpent sting and ss then explosive shot should be of cd and so on. but the shot order is =
Kill Shot
Explosive Shot
Aimed Shot
Black arrow
sepent sting
steady shot.
If u stick by those rules u will keep a nice amount of dps and dmg done. On a fight where i just stand still and nuke like the trash outside ignis i will get around 5.5k dps. But on a fight like yogg i do about 4.6k, you do get a dmg buff on yogg but the fight requiers alot of running and moving.

MM is a very good spec for hunters but SV has the edge over it atm coz alot of fight in wotlk require movement but ure main shot as MM is steady shot and as you should all know ss cant be used whilst moving. On the other hand as SV you can use explosive shot, aimed shot serpent sting and black arrow whilst moving, But back to MM, the tier 8 set bonuses are move usefull as MM because you use ss alot more giving your 4 set bonus more chance to proc and as cs re-applies stings your serpent sting will always be on the boss/mob this is where the 2 set bonus (10% extra dmg on serpent sting) comes in very handy.

this patch just release guns and bows at and above item lvl 226 got a buff so hunter do more dmg but they dont think this will be good enuf for us so over the next fue weeks we will be looking at a couple more buffs. If u have any more questions feel free to ask.

Could you also tell me whe glyphs you have, this can make a big diffrence in your dmg.
thanks
Backstep Lvl 80 Hunter Realm: Dawnbringer
Main Spec SV 5/14/52
Alt spec MM 1/59/11
Ranged - AP 3609/ Crit 31.69%/ Hit 292
Pre 3.1 patch
I used to put out what I thought was considerable DPS
Always seemed to be in the top 5 on Recount lists

Your hit is too high. You cap out at 263 so at 292, you are wasting gem space or some other feature that could raise your agility. Look at your gear and gems and get your hit down to 263.

Crit is nice at 31.69% but I will assume it will drop when you lower your hit.

After you get your hit corrected, you need to work on agility, haste, and intell. these are all items that directly effect your DPS.

I am not yet well geared and consistantly hit 1800-2600 DPS in heroic dungeons. When I gear up, 3K and above should not be a prob. I am often #1 on Recount. Not bragging, just have worked hard to get character to this point. Want to share what I have learned.
As far as rotation is concerned, read the Wowhead forums. There is discussion after discussion about this topic. I use BA, AS, ES, SS, SS, ES, SS, and Repeat as soon as BA CD is complete. then hit kill shot as soon as its available. For SV, Serpent sting is useless waste of mana. Good luck.
Svl spec 3k+ dps my normal rotation is:
Black Arrow
Explosive shot
Serpent Sting
Aimed Shot
Steady Shot

with the haste buffs on gear should be able to get your Steady Shot down to 1.5 sec, giving you time to hit explosive shot and then 3 Steady's while waiting for cooldowns. As stated before, when Lock n Load procs good to put in a steady shot between so you're not clipping.
Hi there I have an SV hunter that pulls up to 7k (steady 6.5k) dps in 25 man uld boss fights. Have some pretty good gear. My stats are as follows agility 1867, ranged ap 5119, crit 43.53, hit 286 (all hit is from gear) Check out my toon and spec if you like. Anyone else pulling more dps on single target? I would be interested in knowing what you pull dps wise and if you are MM, BM, or SV your stats would be nice to.

Lanzandon
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1327&sid=4e78e48ba0a8785a322a8ee3ee44df65&start=10
Jump to :