•  Topic Gear Score
  •   |  Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:07 am 
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2239&sid=96b6e5ab064358a4c24e410a759d650a&start=10
view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
How is Gear Score used, realistically? Do people just check and judge? Oh, you're less than 2400 gear score; go away? Also, on WoW-Heroes, does the difficulty scale change with gear, or is it just static for people to reference?
Gear score matters in WoW a lot.
You always want to have a person with a high score in your group or guild.
Gear score is judged by how advanced your gear is in the game so far.
The better gear you have the bigger raids you can jump in to.

(taking other things into consideration as well)
For tanks: the higher your score the more aggro you hold
Healers: higher your gear score the better you hea
DPS: the higher your score the more DEEPS you pull.

And, yes; the higher your gear score the better raids you can do - shown on the little bar on wowheroes

With all of this being said:
I do know people who don't have the highest gear score but are really good players; good at their class and the game in general.
Many guild will give you a test run so they can see how you play... since your spec and rotation has A LOT to do with how your toon performs.
(:
looking at my spec on here it says 'character has highest score in this spec', i dont have that good a gear so is it more than likely that im the only person with that spec at 80? (7/13/51)
Whilst some of what you say is correct, Gearscore is nothing more than an indication of the Level of Gear/Enchants etc. It is in NO WAY an indication of the skill of the person pushing the buttons behind the screen.

And it is easy to get a gear score very high. As long as you can equip the item the score is reached, even if the item is not valid for your spec or class, as long as you can equip it you can get the "score" for it.

Gearscore doesn't take any "player experience" into account.

You can buy a toon off a website or get given the toon having never playd the game before with a great gearscore. Gearscore doesn't know this.

YOu have no way of knowing if someone was carried through raids/instances, knows their class, how long they have played for etc... all those things cannot be measured by an item score.

It is a tool to be used but is far from 100% accuate on a person ability to make judgements etc on what spell to cast and when and their knowledge of they raids etc.

I put it too you this way.

If i own a McLaren F1, does that mean im a Race Driver ??.... No it doesn't, it just means i have the car, doesn't mean i actually have any race experience or any driving experience.....

Same with Gearscore.
thanks for answering my query :) but then why have a gear score in the first place? (rhetorical) it seems a bit of a waste really other than to say 'look ats my gear i gots high like'

Arky wrote:
thanks for answering my query :) but then why have a gear score in the first place? (rhetorical) it seems a bit of a waste really other than to say 'look ats my gear i gots high like'

Look at it like the first filter on a 3-4 stage system, its a "Quick First Check" to see the toon is "Geared" enough to be considered, doesnt mean the person pushing the buttons is.

If there is a vast disparity with the gearscore for what you want to do, ie a gear score of 700 where you as the Raid leader would like 2000, then straight away you know they dont pass your first check.

If there was only 200 points difference, then you should consider them, but then enquire furthur as to their experience etc....

Gearscore is a "tool" to be used, but not the ONLY TOOL TO USE.
ok thankyou for putting it into a term i could comprehend :D

so based on the fact that i have the highest score in this spec and my gearscore is a mere 1210, its safe to say that not a lot fo people use the spec i have :S.

love this site btw, frickin awesome.. tho a little quiet
Of course it's not perfect and nobody is claiming it is. It's simply the best quantitative value there is.

Qualitative is always the best. The way WoW Heroes lists the gear, tier/dungeon, gems, and enchants is very well organized and that too should be a quick look for any good raid leader. If a 2H melee player is sitting below 263 hit rating and I see a grip of STR gems I am going to be quite leery of that toon even if the gs is higher than another.

Always best to group with someone and see for yourself. But can't do that when pugging.

Just like when you go to apply for a car loan. Your credit score will determine the loan and interest. Maybe you ran into a bad medical situation a few years ago and the most responsible thing to do was let go of a credit card rather than lose your house. It may seem unfair but when working in that kind of business you see that poor credit "second chance" buyers are immensely more likely to default on a loan.

Same with GS. A raid with low gear scores is simply more likely to fail. In addition, good players are far more likely to have better gear than to have poor gear. They know what their toon needs and know how to get it. Plus when you see a lot of ToTC 25 and Ony 25 stuff, it's clear the player knows the fight. WoW Heroes has those nice icons.

That goes beyond just purely looking at GS, but the GS is a threshold. If you're 2100 GS then don't send tells looking to pug in for a 25-man Ony.

Quote:
And it is easy to get a gear score very high. As long as you can equip the item the score is reached, even if the item is not valid for your spec or class, as long as you can equip it you can get the "score" for it.

Try to pull that and you're likely to get booted and locked into their instance.
sorry to bring this topic back up agian, but how is the gearscore calculated? i tried adding all the iLevel's together but it came to a completely diferent number. maybe i need to check my math :S
Site Admin
Site Admin
Overall score is influenced mostly by:
- gems (their quality and usable value)
- items (not item level, but value of stats on each item)
- enchants (their quality and usable value)
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2239&sid=96b6e5ab064358a4c24e410a759d650a&start=10
Jump to :