view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Any good PvE raider will choose the profession that gives them the ability to improve their gear. They choose the profession that gives them the best improvement to their gear for the job they are doing. We all have someone in our groups that can do anything we need to have done, and are dedicated to raiding and not farming. To have the best gear for our jobs, we select the profession that furthers our ability to improve our gear.

Gear without an enchant is never is never equivalent to enchanted gear. If you want the enchantment cap to be some arbitrary amount, then lower the enchantment value per item to some ARBITRARILY low amount that does not affect the real value gain to the item. Two players with identical gear ... one with 9 enchanted items and the other with 12 enchanted items, will both score the same arbitrary 135 enchantment points and be ranked the same. One has inferior gear in comparison.

You cannot rank skill or ability, but you can rank gear. If you want enchanted items to have less affect on the total, then lower the amount awarded by each enchant. To do something so utterly stupid, as to cap enchantments at 135, is to give up on the only thing you are able to do - EVALUATE GEAR. The best PvE players HAVE better gear because they are dedicated and chose the right profession. Enchanted gear is better, and any gear rating system that ignores enchanted items ... well ... is worthless.

Give a top enchantment score of 10 and you will have a limit of 120. That would suffice to at least acknowledge the difference between two items when one is enchanted. You cannot accurately value two items as equivalent ...

I have run out of things to say about this silliness, and please spare me the that canned response. How absolutely ludicrous. I can understand not being able to effectively judge the value of enchantments, but capping the total value is the same as not trying to evaluate at all. No, it is simply not dealing with the issue. Enchanter's rings are more valuable gear ... like it or not.
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm sorry that you're no.2 on your realm now, and that a hunter (LW/Skinner) beat you for 5 points. But you also gotta admit that LW and skinning are not bad for hunter PvE, and before this update he didn't get a single point for those 2 professions. More or less, all professions (400+) give some really nice bonuses (enchanters - rings, LW - excellent patches, skinners crit, alch. - stronger and longer lasting pots/flasks, miners lots of hp, blacksmiths - 2 more gems...).
So, I guess everyone would be happier if we boosted scores for non-enchanters (since they were the only ones who got score ), but overall we would have the same ratio between players.
Give 5 points for enchants and he will still be #1. Now you are judging professions? The point is as stated. Your reply was a wonderful statement of why the enchanting is capped. I shows your dedication and thorough knowledge.

edit: Yes, there are many wonderful additions to raiding for all professions. I find that alchemy helps with the creation of trinkets, the extra length of potions, and I make flasks and elixirs to proc more for all of my guildies. My professions are modeled around my job. If alchemy wasn't such a bonus to my job, then I would take up blacksmithing or jewelcrafting to enhance my gear. The point is you are no longer measuring the value of gear objectively, and that seemed to be your goal.

I was lead to your site by a player that was trying to make a "badge deal". I asked how he knew to ask me, and he lead me here. I was amazed that it even existed. I was #1 wearing my normal gear. If being number one was that important to me, I would log out wearing all the 226 offspec gear I have. I have 3 full sets of T7 and all the 226 items in mail for all the different specs (still need a ring and cloak). I won't do that, it would be silly. I log off wearing my healing gear (though I have several configurations dependent upon the fight).

The limiting of gear score arbitrarily (capricious; unreasonable; unsupported), is contrary to your site.

All said, I think you did a great job of development with this site, and seemed to be working hard at placing the proper values for gems and enchants. Gem value additions are difficult because the slots are already awarded value and should not increase the item level much at all when the top end gems are used. Inferior gems should actually lower the score. Gems added by blacksmiths, jewelcrafters, and belt buckles on the other hand should be given improved scores equivalent to an enchant or inscription of the same value. That is why it is so difficullt to understand the willing disregard of value concerning enchants or inscriptions.

I don't want to seem angry. I am not. I am simply amazed, and would love to understand how you affectively measure gear value by ignoring enchants.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I find that alchemy helps with the creation of trinkets, the extra length of potions, and I make flasks and elixirs to proc more for all of my guildies.

Aye, also flasks/pots give more stats to you than to non-alchemists, which is just awesome.

Quote:
All said, I think you did a great job of development with this site, and seemed to be working hard at placing the proper values for gems and enchants. Gem value additions are difficult because the slots are already awarded value and should not increase the item level much at all when the top end gems are used. Inferior gems should actually lower the score

It's working something like that already :)

Quote:
Gems added by blacksmiths, jewelcrafters, and belt buckles on the other hand should be given improved scores equivalent to an enchant or inscription of the same value. That is why it is so difficullt to understand the willing disregard of value concerning enchants or inscriptions.

In previous version, only enchanters had visible points awarded to them. I'm not saying this new system is perfect, or that it will work like this from now till eternity, but it's a quick fix. In the future (maybe even very near future), we may change it and give visible additional points to all professions, according to spec (with dual spec this will be a lot harder tho). The main idea behind this website was to give players a quick and easy overview of someone's character, and not get into details a lot. Over time that changed slowly, and we're trying to update it to be as precise as possible, however that does take a LOT of time for something that we do in our spare time. Have patience, and I'm sure we'll get to some nice system that will work out for everyone :)
Jump to :