view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Ok i've looked all over the fourms and didnt really see this explained in depth but i would like to know how you come up with a gear score. I seen that you use the item lvl but how do you come up with the raiting?
My gear score is 1943 and my enchant score is 124 which equals 2067 i get how you come up with the over all score and the enchant score but what i dont get is how you come up with the 1943. Is there a forumla that you use? Can you please shed some light on this. Thanks.
/bump

Would be nice to see the table with gearing scores or at least some idea where/how gear ratings are given. With places like lootrank, be.imba.hu and i know there's a priest one around it's difficult when alot of people are making comparisons to this site.

Whilst this site provides an excellent source of info and a great format it would be beneficial to see the ranking's given to gear ie does the set bonus feature of Tier Gear get higher rankings etc

Regards
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well, all I can say at this moment is that gear score depends on:
- ilvl of your item. That number will be replaced with "real" item value at some point, but for now, item levels are taken into account
- value of that specific item (trash, common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary). If that item contains gem slots, gem quality is taken into account
- resilience found on each item (resilience is useless in PvE 99% of the time, so if that specific item got its ilvl with resilience included, it should have slightly lower ilvl). Yes, I know that some PvP weapons are just as good, if not even better than some PvE items, I'll look into that problem soon.
- few more factors which shouldn't have any big influence on the overall gear score

Now I'm sure I'll get flamed now for "why don't you remove penalty from .... and put penalty for ..... etc, etc" but as far as I see, this formula does the job fine most of the time. I'm not saying it wont be changed at some point, maybe even very soon, I'm just saying how it is at the moment. :)
I'm to agree with some of the questions given.
For players particularly interested in boosting their score, or seeing how they rate against others, it would be beneficial to have some idea as to how the numbers are generated.

For instance - Petdragon and Guidon of Cenarius. Guidon is 1 point above Petdragon. Ilvl difference between the two is -13X3 and 13x3 which cancels each other out.
Guidon is missing a belt buckle, and has 5 less points on 1 enchant. However, they have 1 extra gem compared to Petdragon.

So, mathematically, how does these differences equal 1 point?

The total of the item gear levels doesn't equal the gear score, the total score is higher.
The total of the enchantment points doesn't equal the enchantment score, the total is higher.
There is no display of how gems value against one player to another.

As I said previously, to compare one person to another, it'd be very helpful to know where exactly one is excelling over the other. Some guilds use this site to rank incoming applicant's or members for raiding positions as well. To them, knowing would also help.
Although in a PvE enviroment, specifically dungeons and raids, resilience has a roll with tanks. Combined with def rating a tank can combine resilience and def rating to get their full immunity to crits from from bosses. Therefore they can have part def rating and part resilience.

Quote:
(resilience is useless in PvE 99% of the time, so if that specific item got its ilvl with resilience included, it should have slightly lower ilvl).

Keep in mind resilience contributes to crit immunity for tanks. It looks like you've recongized this by ranking Greater Inscription of the Gladiator as +15 Enchant. However, I just want to make sure you aren't penalizing tanks who have say less than 540 Defense - but are still crit immune (through Resilience or the DK Rune that gives +25 Defense but doesn't show up on the stats).

Take me for example, my Defense is 536, but I have +15 Resilience - making me crit immune. I find I get higher avoidance numbers by stacking Dodge instead of Defense.

Milagros wrote:
Well, all I can say at this moment is that gear score depends on:
- ilvl of your item. That number will be replaced with "real" item value at some point, but for now, item levels are taken into account
- value of that specific item (trash, common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary). If that item contains gem slots, gem quality is taken into account
- resilience found on each item (resilience is useless in PvE 99% of the time, so if that specific item got its ilvl with resilience included, it should have slightly lower ilvl). Yes, I know that some PvP weapons are just as good, if not even better than some PvE items, I'll look into that problem soon.
- few more factors which shouldn't have any big influence on the overall gear score

Now I'm sure I'll get flamed now for "why don't you remove penalty from .... and put penalty for ..... etc, etc" but as far as I see, this formula does the job fine most of the time. I'm not saying it wont be changed at some point, maybe even very soon, I'm just saying how it is at the moment. :)

Is it possible to see the exact formula for this? Cause I'm really interested in that...or at least put some better numbers to what you said there? You said gem slots effect score, in what way? Do you look at if there's gems in there or not? Do slots add or take away? Do the color of slots matter? What do you mean by 'real' item value?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions...but I'm really curious how this all works.
I'll second the request to see the formula, but I understand the intent in not revealing it.

From swapping gear in and out and looking at the change in my score, I've concluded that there might be something off with how gems are counted. Compare Shiver and Titanguard, for example, both ilvl 232 tanking weapons. Shiver has a socket, but has 1 less Str, 8 less def, and 6 less hit. The socket, with a rare level gem inside, counts for approximately as much as the deficit, without including the socket bonus. From this and other examples, it is reasonable to conclude that sockets are already accounted for in ilvl: a 232 with one socket is equivalent to a 232 with zero sockets in terms of itemization budget, when it is assumed that a rare gem is socketed.

The problem is that having a rare gem seems to confer a point bonus, where really it shouldn't confer any bonus. Epic gems should confer a bonus, and gems worse than Northrend rare gems should confer a penalty. Perhaps even instate a penalty for not having a Stormjewel. Similarly, if someone is a Jewelcrafter and has 3 JC gems, they should get a different point bonus, equivalent to that gotten by a tank with max Mining, or a tailor with the cloak enchant, or an enchanter with two ring enchants, or a blacksmith with both bracer sockets, etc. Score gain from professions should be streamlined, and score gain from gems should be correctly related to ilvl.

Then, it could be argued that socketed items allow for better itemization (more of your best stat, less of the crappy ones), making them better in general. This is somewhat true, with socket bonuses contributing somewhat, but the exception is that a socketed item may for example be very heavy on Stamina or some other useless stat, and a non-socketed equivalent may not. But if the discrepancy of sockets vs no sockets is currently taken into account, then the gain from socketed items over socketless equivalents is probably too high. Of course, I could be wrong about rare gems conferring a bonus in the first place, but I thought it was worth mention. And I'm sure you won't reveal the formula, but in the case that you hadn't considered any of that, it might help.

Enchanters, Tailors, LWs, Scribes, and maybe Engineers should get a boost to their enchant scores; Miners (who are also tanks), Alchemists, and Skinners should get a separate bonus; Blacksmiths should get a bonus a la the belt buckle for each extra socket; and JCs should get a bonus for each Dragon's Eye they have on. The maximum bonus for each profession should be the same. (Herbalism should not confer any bonus, as it's not useful for PvE.) This way, raiders who worked hard to get two professions that would benefit us in PvE will see that effort reflected in our score. (The JC bonus should perhaps be slightly higher than the others because it's OP, at your discretion.)
Site Admin
Site Admin
I agree with most of this and there will be some changes very soon, it's just that at the moment we're busy with dual spec implementation and there are some pretty big profession changes incoming in 3.2 , so we'll give our best :)
Thanks for suggestions, we really appreciate it :good:
Jump to :