1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=16&t=474&sid=27e65d2c755c156f126df2fd079a2536&start=10
view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Hi folks,

Im an addon developer for wow and really wanna take your rating system and make it into a wow addon so people can create a wow-heroes rating simply by inspecting another player. Other uses could be to score an entire guild if a guild officer requests so and see when players need to be working harder ;). I really want the rating to be comparable to the rating on your website. For that to work i would need us to work together on this project. Would you guys be interested?

Other projects of mine:
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... aster.aspx
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... mmenu.aspx

Thanks!
Site Admin
Site Admin
We will think about your offer ,nice suggestion overall :)
Thanks Milagros, looking forward to hearing your decision.
I want to second the idea. Being able to see everyone's WH rating on a tooptip would be excellent. A couple of ways to do it:

A. I can look at my realm page and see the top 300. Can I scrape/DL that data and import it into a wow addon? Can I get more than the top 300? This makes the addon very simple, allowing WowHeroes to keep their system private. Endusers would have to download the latest numbers every week or so.

B. Create a Windows app that calculates the score the same way WowHeroes does. This app would scrape the armory, calculate all the scores, then store it in a data file that could be used by (A).

C. Create an Addon that contains the logic of WowHeroes. The addon would calculate the rankings upon inspecting another player.

Currently I am using GearScore http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... Score.html but I suspect the ranking isn't nearlt as good as WH.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Very good ideas, we'll think about all this in the next few days, and I'm sure some of it can be implemented very soon.
Thanks again :)
Good to hear you guys are interested.

I agree with Vvodka that there are many options of doing this, however i would not opt for just downloading the ratings off wow-heroes, but have the rating be calculated ingame. This will indeed mean that the logic needs to be made somewhat public. However, having the logic ingame would mean faster and more accurate ratings (always using the current equipment and talents).

I have already created a proof of concept addon that retrieves current equipment+talents of players in inspection range of the player and almost finished implementing the retrieval system to rate an entire guild/raid/party. All that needs to be done is calculating the actual rating and create a ui somewhat compared to wow-heroes'.

Perhaps we can meet someday on IRC/msn/whatever to discuss things.

Kind regards,

-Mackatack
I would love to see something like this. It would help me so much as a Raid Leader being able to see how we're doing in Gear, and making sure that a person is effective for the Raid I have chosen.

I would love to help with this Addon if needed.
however i would not opt for just downloading the ratings off wow-heroes, but have the rating be calculated ingame.

The primary reason I'd like to download the ratings is for pugs. When deciding if a player is raid/heroic-worthy, they typically are not within inspect range. I alt-tab out and look them up at WoW-Heroes to see how their gear stands. That said, if the formula was made public, it would be possible to write my own armory scraper and use the formula to assign a score.
Yeah, but don't you think it would be quite impossible to download the ratings for every user on your realm considering bandwidth for the wow-heroes server etc? This would not be very user friendly either, having old data. You're correct that people could use the addon sourcecode to make their own scraper, but thats the purpose of open source, isn't it ;) If the wow-heroes admins wish i can have the code obfuscated and encoded so that's harder to steal the actual logic. (Harder of course doesn't mean impossible :P)
Dun

Mackatack wrote:
Yeah, but don't you think it would be quite impossible to download the ratings for every user on your realm considering bandwidth for the wow-heroes server etc? This would not be very user friendly either, having old data. You're correct that people could use the addon sourcecode to make their own scraper, but thats the purpose of open source, isn't it ;) If the wow-heroes admins wish i can have the code obfuscated and encoded so that's harder to steal the actual logic. (Harder of course doesn't mean impossible :P)

You could make the rating linkable, that way you would be able to check it even if the player was remote

Dun
1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=16&t=474&sid=27e65d2c755c156f126df2fd079a2536&start=10
Jump to :