view posts by this user Offline
    Reply with quote Post a reply
I have read so many web sites, posts, WAG's and just plain bullsh*t about Shadow DPS rotation it's making my eyes cross. I am looking for some intelligent information on becoming a better Face-melting witch. There are, from my reading of things, or should be two different spell rotations depending on the situation. Trash mobs require some quick (burst) damage because they are going down fast, and bosses require long-term (sustained) damage.

What is the best "rotation" for quick kills? (Mobs under 100K, yes I understand I am probably only getting 2-4 spells off but is multiple MF's the answer or does the cooldown after SW:D/MB still give more dps??)

My sustained DPS on bosses is a low 3100. I have my VE up, and rotate VT, DP, SW:P, SW: D, MB, MF, MF, refresh the VT/DP, mash MF and hit MB/SW:D as they come up...

I know I have the gear to do much better sustained damage, and am sure quick damage can be better as well. Any intelligent advice, thoughts, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Jastyra, Sen'jin
In a bad group you can pretty much dot everything and then use Mind Flay. In good group consider using Mind Sear. If a trash pack is 4+ mobs, Mind Sear is the way to go. Easy epeen.

As for bosses, if you drop SW:P that early, than you should read some proper guides, especially about Shadow Weaving. Last time I checked, VT -> DP -> MB -> MF -> SW:P etc. was the way to go. Remove SW:D from your rotation completely: it's a situational spell (MB is almost off-CD and using MF would be a waste; you have to move and don't need to refresh DP; add in a fight is about to die and you might get a KB etc.)

Judging by your WoW Heroes profile:

1. You're missing many enchants and those that are present are suboptimal.
2. You're under hit cap (289 w/ talents).
3. You need to drop Nightmare Tear. It's bad.
4. You need to replace that +int trinket. It's worthless.
5. MP5 on gear is not needed for shadow priests (it's not a DPS stat also). If you have problems with mana, drop a point or two into Veiled Shadows.
6. Visit shadowpriest.com.
The key to this is not use macro's, you are better off practicing manual casting, and not forcing a rotation. If you set a rigid rotation you will never hit your max dps.

The standard rotation I start with is:

sw:p vt mb mf:3 sw:p -- this will setup your shadow weaving

There is argument over useing sw:p first but the general consesus is an instant cast at the beginning to boost your hit is a loss in time worth having after all shad priests are best at long term fights. Make sure you refresh it after you hit the 5 count though such that it is maxing it's dps potential.

Next I cast:

DP, sw:d

after that you probably have a mf:1 or 2 and hit mb again.

Now all you do is keep up the sequence of 5, cast mb and sw:d whenever they are up, cast dp and vt when they are about to wear off your mob (vt will go first and dp after always in that order if you follow this sequence at least with tier 9 gear that has been the case) and buffer with mf.

keep in mind sw:d, dp, and sw:p are instant cast, be ready to hit another spell almost imediatelly after because your global cool down is the only pause you have to wait for. If sw:p ever wears off it becomes your priority, that spell probbly has the best dps turn around.

I am not a fan of addons but there is a simple graphic one called "shadow priest green light", that is really helpful when it comes do maintaining your shadow weaving. It also helps flag additional spells that could benefit your sw:p and tells you to recast.

On trash you will probably only get the spell line out once, past that you have to judge if it is worth recasting vt or just finishing them off with mind flay, also keep in mind you will want to rotate your shadow pet through, if you have vieled shadows you should be able to run him out 2-3 times per boss fight so use him as soon as he is up.
There is no "real" rotation just an opening, keeping your dots up and using your CD's

my general opening is VT->MB->MF->DP->SW:P
from there rotate a mind blast and mind flay
Pop my shadow fiend
rotate another mind blast mind flay until VT comes back
Inner Focus->VT

from here on out just keep dots up as soon as they fall off keep mind blast on CD mind flay in between.

SW:D and/or DP when moving. i've seen DP initial hit for the same as the non crit mind blast so its handy when running a way from something.

On heroics i don't even worry about trash and many times i don't even worry bout my shadow weaving just because they die so quick

Looks like you got the hit cap
replace your trinkets. Sundial from the Heroism Badge vendor. Abysal rune from ToC 5man are easy to get.

Band of the Invoker from the triumph vendor is easy to get now

Enchant Spell power

Gem chaotic skyfire meta
Gem Runed Reds in red sockets
2x Gem Purified purples(? the 12sp/10spirit) in blues for your meta bonus
Gem Reckless oranges(12ps/10haste) in yellow where you will get a +sp socket bonus

Haste is not a worthless stat any more but try to only use it where spell power loss is minimal. If you can gain 40haste and loose 20spell power it not too bad.
this is the gear scoring I use, I can't remember where I found it but seems to be a pretty solid representation:

* 1 spellpower = 1 PP
* 1 crit rating = 0.77 PP
* 1 haste = 0.79 PP
* 1 spirit = 0.23 PP
* 1 int = 0.39 PP
* 1 hit = 1.41 PP (when not hit-capped)
* spellpower + crit*0.77 + int*0.39 + spirit*0.23 + haste*0.79 + hit*1.41 + sockets + meta [CSD] = total PP

of course with your sockets you are better off figuring out what gems you will slot, and adding the base values in. I am in the process of changing most of my blue gems out for reds because the socket bonus doesn't offset the benefit of the Runed Cards.

You can end up with to much haste (brain and comp lag to slow for haste), but I have yet to have that problem and my first gear set was heavy on haste.

arbuckle17 wrote:
this is the gear scoring I use, I can't remember where I found it but seems to be a pretty solid representation:

* 1 spellpower = 1 PP
* 1 crit rating = 0.77 PP
* 1 haste = 0.79 PP
* 1 spirit = 0.23 PP
* 1 int = 0.39 PP
* 1 hit = 1.41 PP (when not hit-capped)
* spellpower + crit*0.77 + int*0.39 + spirit*0.23 + haste*0.79 + hit*1.41 + sockets + meta [CSD] = total PP

of course with your sockets you are better off figuring out what gems you will slot, and adding the base values in. I am in the process of changing most of my blue gems out for reds because the socket bonus doesn't offset the benefit of the Runed Cards.

You can end up with to much haste (brain and comp lag to slow for haste), but I have yet to have that problem and my first gear set was heavy on haste.

Above info is a week out of date. the PP value for haste changed upward with 3.3 Haste now effects VT and DP. I personally wouldn't socket pure haste gemes but using the reckless orange gem where you get a socket bonus from using a yellow is worth it so far.

here is some great info from shadowpriest.com.
http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24134

Quote:
The following are the new scaling factors:

Int = 0.27
Spi = 0.58
SP = 1.00 (obviously as values are normalized to SP)
Hit = 1.41
Crit = 0.88
Haste = 1.00

If you got a yellow socket item that gives a spell power bonus use the reckless orange gem. which in it self is 22pp add a +5 sp socket bonus and you get 27pp instead of 23pp with out the socket bonus on a red sp gem.

make sure you use the chaotic skyflare meta and use 2 purified purples in 2 blue sockets where you will get the socket bonus.

from what i can tell the ideal amount of haste is between 600-800ish depending on lag.
-I am in similar shoes to your own. I've spent a hefty amount of time looking around on forums trying to figure out which is the best. My current gear setup + flask + fish feast yielded me upper 4k->low 5k dps throughout our entire ICC 25 run last night.

Rotation
-Currently: VT -> MB -> MF ->SW: P ...... SW:D Only when moving. Although I am now considering starting with a SW: P for Misery as someone prior to myself stated. (I'd much rather miss a sw:P than miss a VT, plus SW: P gets 2? ticks in). Once I have applied all dots, I immediately Fiend. I use Fiend as extra DPS, I have no real mana issues, and 85% of the time I don't dispersion because it cuts my DPS.
-As for trash, in heroics I generally VT+DP the main target, if there's 4-5+ I mindsear. In raids, if there's 4-5+ I mindsear with VT (sometimes DP) on my main target. If there are many adds, but they aren't close enough together for you to mindsear them all, it may be a good idea to VT each one of them. VT does an immense amount of your damage.

Stats
-HIT CAP is most important, like they have said above. 289 + talents = 17%, that is what you need. *Note I'm not calling you out on any gear, I see you are in Holy spec and may have healing gear on instead of your normal dps gear*. After that...
-Spell power is good, but from my own personal experience, a nice round amount of SP/Haste/Crit is good. I say this because I no 2pc t9 but 2900 sp, self buffed i capped at about 3700 dps. Another spriest came up, he parsed himself and capped at about 3858 dps... he had 3 t9 and 2400 sp. Yeah, I felt retarded.
-So the general consensus that I have read and follow is... if it has higher stats overall, take it. I'd have no problem turning down 50 sp for say 40 haste and 40 crit. I myself feel a little low on crit, I am aiming for about 25% unbuffed and 6-800 haste.

If anyone has any questions or critiques, feel free to send me a message or reply to this post. I know I'm not the best, but I would like to be. I like shadow DPS, but feel like it cannot compete with the pure DPS classes =(. If my DPS is low for my GS and you know how to fix it, definitely reply =).

Carcen of Sargeras
<LOL my guild name is retarded>
Jump to :